Wednesday 1 December 2010

Lamb and Red Wine Stew with Roasted New Potatoes

I was talking to my brother the other day about food like we always do as we have a shared passion for all things edible and he told me of a rather impressive amount of meat he had in his freezer, and for a young man of 23 with little cash I thought how was this possible? Well it turns out that my brother has taken to going to his local Sainsburys just before closing time and buying all the highly reduced produce on the meat and fish counters and got some ridiculously good bargains!! Well I thought I must have a go myself and so I did and got a huge slab of pork belly for £2.20, two fillet steaks for £1.80 and 8 pieces of organic lamb stewing steak for 30p a piece....I was very pleased to say the least!
I made a very tasty stew out of the lamb by frying the meat and sealing it before covering in flour and sauteing onions and carrots with the meat and then pouring half a bottle of red over it and then adding bay leaves, beef stock, peppercorns and tomato puree and letting in simmer for around an hour and 45 mins.
I am a bit of a mash addict and would never even think of having stew with anything but buttery mash potato's but I felt like this lamb stew would benefit with some new potato's roasted in olive oil, rosemary and garlic so that's what I did and they went together perfectly along with some brussle sprouts and mashed root veg (needed something that was mashed!)

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment