Wednesday 1 December 2010

A few of my favourite things....Cauliflower Cheese

Personally I love the snow because it makes me all festive and happy and gives everyone the perfect excuses to eat lot's of hot, scrummy, fatty things that make you feel all warm inside and what better to give you a snugly culinary hug than home-made cauliflower cheese.Cauliflower cheese is most definitely one of my favourite things to eat so any excuses really. I always make my cheese sauce from scratch starting with a roux, I am known for putting criminal amounts of cheese in it and also for eating most of the sauce before the cauliflower even see's it, but somehow my sauce to cauliflower ratio always favours heavily on the sauce side so it's more like eating cheese sauce with a bit of cauliflower in it.

Photobucket


I just make my roux with butter and flour and begin to slowly pour in full fat milk little by little whilst stirring with my trusty wooden spoon and then when the sauce is the right kind of consistency I start to add big handfuls of grated mature cheddar, pepper and sometimes a bit of nutmeg to! When the sauce is ready I add the cauliflower to it, put it in a baking dish, put more cheese on top and chuck it in the oven until the top is crisp and bubbling.
I had mine with gammon staeks and brussle sprouts and I could not have been happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment