Saturday 26 January 2013

Beef Bourguignon

It has been snowy and magical, I love the snow so much, I love the way it makes the whole of the UK stand still. In any other country people would still go about their normal lives but not here, oh no....Quick it's snowing panic buy, panic buy, shut the schools, don't leave the house, woman get's some snow on her head, front page news ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!
When it's freezing outside we all crave hot comfort food and beef bourguignon is perfect for this. I adapted Gordon Ramsey's recipe for this and it turned out perfectly and I really do recommend using shin beef, it's the perfect cut for this. I served mine with buttery mashed potato and celeriac, yum.

3 tsp goose fat or Butter and a splash of oil
 600g shin beef , cut into large chunks
100g smoked streaky bacon , sliced
350g Whole peeled shallots or pearl onions, peeled
250g chestnut mushrooms (about 20)
2 garlic cloves
1 bouquet garni
1 tbsp tomato purée
750ml bottle red wine


















 I peeled my shallots, quartered my chestnut mushrooms, added the smoky bacon and sauteed everything in some goose fat.


















I covered my chunks of shin beef in seasoned flour, browned in batches and then added them to the pan. I then added my bouquet garni, tomato past, red wine and 100ml of water and left to cook on the hob for about 2 hours half covered and then I transferred it to the oven totally covered for a further hour and a half. 


















The long slow cooking of this bourguignon makes the meat literally melt in your mouth, so utterly delicious, especially when served with a pile of steaming butter celeriac mash.


6 comments:

  1. oh man this looks good... bet the smell in the house was incredible... I have a long slow stew in the oven now and I can't wait to eat it... gorgeous stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to indulge in one-upmanship, but here in Washington, DC we 1/2 inch of snow early yesterday morning and schools were delayed opening by two hours and government employees had the option of tele-commuting from home. I grew up where we had a food of snow in a normal year by the end of November. We got out our shovels and went about our business. Oh, and by the way, your beef stew was clearly magnificent. If you can possibly find a way to do away with the "prove you're not a robot" function I will not be the only one of your readers who will be grateful. I probably won't be back until it's gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dom, and yes the smell was so so good and I hope you enjoy your lovely stew to!
    I didn't know I had one! I will change it for you Stephen if I can!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm I could imagine the yummy aroma floating up to the hallway. Having this for this weeks menu definitely. Got my eye on your next posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am seriously drooling right now! This sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete