Friday 30 December 2011

King prawn and Chicken Laksa

Enough with the potatoes and gravy it's time for some refreshing spicy flavours and a bit of a health kick so here is a really simple and delicious laksa recipe with abnormally bright photo's, not sure what happened there!

2 shallots
2 red chillis
2 lemon grass sticks
Piece of ginger cut into thin batons
pack of deboned and skinless chicken thighs
handful of king prawns or any other prawn!
2 tbsp of fish sauce
1tsp of shrimp paste
1tbsp of brown sugar
500ml chicken stock
1 tin of coconut milk
1 lime
handful of beansprouts
baby leaf spinach
rice noodles
1tsp of veg oil


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Finely chop your lemongrass and chilli and cut the ginger into matchstick shapes.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Fry in some oil for a few minutes

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Add your chopped chicken thighs and shrimp paste but cook only for a minute before adding the coconut milk and stock or they won't be tender. You can use breast if you like but thighs have loads more flavour

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Let it simmer for around 10 minuites and add the beansprouts and spinach near the end so they don't overcook.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Add the lime juice, fish sauce and if you are using prawns that ready cooked add them at the last possible moment so they don't loose there flavour.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I put some thinly sliced cucumber to garnish and would have put some coriander on to if I had remembered to buy some!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
My eyes!!!! The brightest photo ever taken, sorry about that!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this recipe - I'd really like to try this Laksa, I've never made one before. I smiled while reading your post, because just last night we had a King Prawn Makhani for our supper - a nice and spicy winter warmer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there and thanks for following my blog, am now a happy follower too! I love laksa, nothing like hot climate food to make you think you are in one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What time is dinner? My mouth is watering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How right you are, this is a very refreshing change from all that heavy food. I can't wait to make it. GG

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you all liked the recipe, it's easy but with really amazing results!

    @Fallen From Flavour.. I don't know what King Prawn Makhani is but I know I want to eat it!

    ReplyDelete