Thursday 4 November 2010

Portuguese Baked Pork and Orange Ribs with Butter Rice

I took this recipe from a beautiful cookbook called 'Piri Piri Starfish:Portugal Found' and it worked so well. Gorgeous sticky ribs with an amazing orange flavour as well as the roasted peppers that I tucked under the ribs when they were cooking. I served this with butter rice and salad.

1KG of pork short ribs
125ML olive oil
1 Red and one yellow pepper (optional)
2 bay leaves
125ml white whine
juice of 1 orange plus 2 oranges quartered
1 large onion chopped
3 garlic cloves
3 tablespoons of passata or tinned diced tomatoes
a pinch of piri piri (optional)

First of all brown off your ribs in half the olive oil and in a separate pan saute the chopped onion, next add the crushed garlic and after a few minutes add the passata and piri piri if your using it. Place the orange segments and sliced peppers onto a roasting tin before placing the ribs on top and then pour over the sauce and bake for around 40mins. I made some butter rice to serve alongside this by just frying onion and garlic in oil and butter and the adding the rice to it and frying for a few moments before adding water to boil. In the original recipe peppers are not included but I think they go really well and you can also add more passata for more sauce to eat with your rice.
It's quite possibly one of the messiest meals to eat so have lot's of napkins ready, Mercer managed to get sauce in his ear and he's 27....

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I love this recipe! So great to see people experimenting with Portuguese recipes! So going to have a go at this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore Portuguese food! My Mum is living there at the moment and I went to stay with her for a week and decided to try and cook as many traditional portuguese dishes as possible when I was there! Pork and clams with sauted potatos and seafood rice where two of my favourites and I loved getting all the ingredients from the local market. I used a cook book called 'Piri Piri Starfish, Portugal Found' written by a Portuguese lady and it's beautiful with such lovely recipies.

    ReplyDelete